Saturday, June 11, 2011

Take a Flying Leap!


Love is a leap of faith. Yes, even at this age. Our age. In fact it's almost a bigger leap than the first time you told someone you loved them. Actually when I think about it the leap is the same because you are stepping out into unknown territory. Will you fall into the abyss or will you land with both feet on solid ground?

That's the thing about love. When you've been at this crazy thing for a couple of decades (give or take!) you accumulate a lot of stuff. Most people would call it baggage. So while that first time in your life when you say "I love you" is really scary what you are afraid of is the unknown. As you gain experience what you are afraid of is not unknown. You've seen the boogey man's face. In other words you know all the ways that you can be hurt.

Should we take this leap of faith? Even if we know now what we didn't know then? There's no way around the leap. I think we all may be just a little crazy. We are willing to leap tall buildings in a single bound for something we can't actually see or touch in the most basic physical sense. Love lives somewhere between the physical world and the dream world. It's beautiful and it's messy but it is "what it's all about!" (great wisdom can be gained from doing the Hokey Pokey)

I'm not any different than most people. I've had my share of bruising when I haven't nailed the landing. In a long lasting relationship you will probably have to jump more than once and the longer the relationship the scarier it gets. I think they make you jump off a higher cliff!

So do you jump? How the hell do I know?! I just finished telling you about all my bruises. But me? I jump!

PS To Whom It May Concern, Thanks for catching me!

No comments:

Post a Comment