Monday, June 13, 2011

A Tale of Two Stories

With age sometimes comes wisdom. The key word here is sometimes. Sometimes you gain it from a story told by someone else. I've heard my fair share of stories, as you can imagine and these two are among my favorites. I'm reciting them from memory and while I may have more wisdom, the words may not be the exact words of the storyteller so if you've heard the story told a little differently, well, life is like that.

THE ESKIMO STORY


Two guys are sitting in a bar in Alaska and they're talking. After a while the conversation turns to religion. Seems that one of them was a believer, and the other was an atheist.

The atheist tells the believer "You know I gave your God a chance to prove himself to me but he didn't.

"Oh really, how so?" asked the believer.

"Well I'm driving alone in the middle of nowhere. It was getting dark and my car breaks down. I left my car to go look for help and a blizzard starts. Before long I was totally lost. I was freezing and quite sure I was done for. In that desperate moment I fell to my knees, looked toward the heavens, and said "God, if you're really up there, prove it to me. Save me from this horrible death."

The believer looks puzzled. "I don't get it. How can you still not believe. I mean, you're here. God must have answered your prayers."

To which the atheist replied, shaking his head "No, it was some fucking Eskimo that found me and took me back to safety!"

LEO'S STORY FROM THE WEST WING


Preface: You don't have to know who Leo is or to have ever seen The West Wing to enjoy the story.

This guy's walking down the street when he falls into a hole.The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts out "Hey you, can you help me out?" The doctor writes a prescription and throws it down the hole and moves on.

Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts out "Father I'm down in this hole, can you help me out?" The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down the hole and moves on.

Then a friend walks by. "Hey Joe,it's me, can you help me out?" And the friend jumps in the hole.

Our guy says "What are you stupid? Now we're both down here!" The friend says "Yeah but I've been down here before and I know the way out."

No comments:

Post a Comment